Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Marcy's Animal Blog- Jasper and Hunter- Canine's Odd Couple!







Meet Hunter (on the left) and Jasper (on the right)

Hunter is a Sheltie thoroughbred, a former show dog.
Jasper is a mixed Terrier, a former street dog.







Truly an unlikely pair- from their beginnings to now! Some of you may remember them from a previous post. I had the opportunity to stay with these two for a couple of days. Delightful and totally different, they somehow co-exist. But I'll let them tell their stories!






Hunter: First off, folks- the ONLY thing Jasper and I have in common is that we're both rescue canines. That is obviously where our common bond ends! I was a show dog Champion! I am Beautiful! Well- o.k., I'm a gentleman, so I'll say Handsome! My present owners took me in after my previous owner got sick. Jasper over there is rough around the edges- well, not just the edges. He's a tramp, o.k.?









Jasper: O.k., fluffy! My turn! I was a street dog, found covered with garbage! I may not be a spoiled fluff like Hunter, but I'm street wise and smart. And I'm handsome in my own way! Our owners heard about me and rescued me. Look at the picture above. Auntie M is about to give us a treat. See me sitting nicely? See Hunter on the left? Nope- doesn't sit unless commanded to. So who wins the trophy for manners, eh?








Hunter: Yes, I don't mind going outside for a little while. But there's dirt out there, all sorts of things that could ruin my perfect hair-do. I do enjoy chasing a squirrel from time to time, but prefer to be indoors. Auntie M took me for a walk. About 1/2 block is my preference. She urged me to do more, so I just laid down and waited for her to get the hint! I'll leave the exercise to scruffy Jasper! He's the muscle man, I'm the Show dog!











Jasper: I LOVE being outdoors, sniffing and exploring, sometimes just laying in the sun! Ol Hunter doesn't know what he's missing! When Auntie M pulls out the leash, I'm one happy canine! I'll walk for as long as she wants to! She tells me I have perfect leash manners! Score one more for the tramp!







Hunter: It's true that I have a "Show Dog" attitude. That's the way I was trained, and why I was a Champion! Being raised that way, that's the only way I know how to be! So- I won't apologize. It is hard sometimes, when I see Jasper doing all the fun canine things that I'm not use to, like playing outside and rolling in the dirt. I've tried, but I just can't get into it!










Jasper: Remember I told you I was a street dog? With that background, you can imagine how important food is to me. Now, look to the picture on the left. See the food dish? I know I appear anxious in that picture, but I'm waiting there for Auntie M to say it's o.k. to eat. That takes some willpower, I'll tell you!






My owners have actually put some golf balls in my food dish, to help me slow my eating down! I tend to gobble so fast, I get a little sick!




Hunter:  Don't tell Jasper, but I wish I was a bit more fearless, like him. When it storms, or I feel anxious, I go into the bathroom and stay between the toilet and the tub. It just feels like a more safe and secure spot.











Jasper: By now you've figured out that I call Hunter "Fluffy" and he calls me "Scruffy". As mixed Terriers go, I think I'm very handsome, in a rather rugged way. I'm fearless, grateful, I enjoy my life here with my owners, and love being with Auntie M too!









Hunter: One of the things we DO agree on- we have a good life here, protected from the elements, well fed, and treated well by our owners!

Jasper: Hunter and I  tolerate each other. Once in a while I can even get Hunter to play! But he's right, we have a good home. And we do enjoy Auntie M coming to stay when our owners are away.






From Auntie M (aka Marcy)- Though totally different, both of these guys are a delight. I find their differences a fun challenge- seeing which dog enjoys which activity. And they both tolerate my being "Leader of the Pack"

Thank you, Hunter and Jasper, for a fun weekend! Hugs to you both!

3 comments:

Susan Lois Metler Henry said...

And thank you, Auntie M for the wonderful job you do in leading our pack and in setting our minds at rest that our buddies will receive the most excellent care possible! It is nice to know this as we think about them on our journeys. What a comfort! Thanks, too, for the neat dialogues that you share. Truth be told, Hunter runs well with his own kind. He'd like Jasper to play but Jasper doesn't choose to be dominated (errr) herded in quite the way Hunter chooses to do. Jasper knows if he brushes Hunter off he gets to keep the power! Or maybe sometimes they are too tired to try to figure each other out....
Sue

Jay said...

These guys are too cute, and it's cool to hear about their different personalities. I'm half way across the world and I've never met my auntie's dogs, but this is an awesome description!

The Flight Nun said...

Jay- Thank you so much for your comment! I am blogging again and would love you to follow along!

Marcy
aka Auntie M
aka The Flight Nun