Tuesday, September 1, 2020

MARCY'S ANIMAL BLOG- "ZOE"- THE PUPPY MILL RESCUE DOG !!




My name is "Zoe"- pronounced Zoey.  I'm a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier!  My story started off pretty badly!

You see, I was born in a puppy mill!  There were dogs everywhere- over 90 adults and puppies where there! We had really bad living conditions!  Our coats were terribly matted!  Many had feces stuck to them for a long time!  Almost every one of us suffered from some sort of medical condition!

Poodles and Wheaten Terriers were there- and dogs that were a cross breed of the two called "Whoodles"! There also were several cats and at least two litters of kittens!  None of us were very well taken care of!

One day, when I was about six months old people came to see how we all were being treated!  They were shocked at how neglected we were!  They found me in the stall of a barn! We were taken away and given medical attention!  I had never had much interaction with humans!  So I was skittish and shy!  I didn't know what to think of it all!

Some of us went to the Humane Society and some, like myself, went to a Wheaten Terrier Rescue for adoption!

And so my life began as a rescue pup!  I became very attached to the female human who adopted me.  I have to say- I'm shy by nature and extremely insecure.  I just never had any socialization before!  I'm now almost 7 years old!  We're still working on some behavior issues, but I'm doing better, a little bit at a time!


 

When my humans go away Auntie M comes to stay.   Even before she lets me out of my crate she closes the bedroom doors.   She's learned that though I love her,  I tend to go hide under the bed when my humans aren't here.  With the bedroom doors closed  I lay at the end of the hall instead!


Another place of refuge is my crate!  And I love my stuffed toy!  It's the same color as me!  Maybe it reminds me of all my brothers and sisters I lived with the first six months of my life.

I have a few "quirks"- I would say.  I have an unbelievable startle response to any loud noise!  Every time my male human puts the foot rest down on his lazy boy chair I bark! I also get really concerned if any human is on the floor!!  And let's not even talk about thunderstorms!  Those are the worst!

Still- in all, I'm adjusting pretty well.  Slow but sure.  When Auntie M walks me I stay right by her side, just as she likes!  When she visits I am happy to greet her!  When she says "Sit for Loves"  I immediately sit down!  



Just this week Auntie M tried to get a picture of the two of us!  I didn't really want my picture taken!  But there I am, looking bigger than life cause I tried to lean forward and away!  Camera shy!


You can tell I'm feeling pretty comfortable and secure here!  I'm ON the bed, not UNDER it!



One of my "things" that I do- I don't always eat!  When my humans go away, I don't eat for a while.  Nor do I eat when we travel!  BUT---  when my female human makes a yummy meat dish she lets me eat a few pieces along with licking the plate!  That's the best!

So that's my story.  I had a rough start to say the least- and it's taken a while to adjust to living with humans.  But I've bonded very closely with my female human.  She lets me know when I'm out of line, but is oh so gentle when she does it!  I have a Wonderful life now! I'd say my life was saved when I was taken from the puppy mill - and again when I was adopted!

If you're thinking of adding a Canine or Feline member to your family, Please look at your local Humane Society or Rescue Agency first!   You may just fall in Love!





4 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww. So Precious!

The Flight Nun said...

Thank you for your comment! Yes- Zoe is a dear!
Marcy
aka Auntie M

Anonymous said...

Dear Auntie M,
I feel very special and honored to be one of the critters you write about.
You made me look pretty and told my story so well.
Please come see me soon.
Puppy kisses,
Zoe

The Flight Nun said...

From Auntie M !
Dearest Zoe! I'm so happy to share your rescue story! And YES! I'll visit you soon and give you Loves and ear pulls, just like you like them! Hugs and pats!